Clevedon Pier - Some Facts and Figures

Some interesting facts and figures on Clevedon Pier:

  • The deck is made from Opepe, an African hardwood.
  • Some of the fish caught from the pier are; Bass, Cod, Conger, Dab, Flounder, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Pouting, Rocking, Silver Eel, Sole, Tub, Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Turbot and Whiting.
  • Ships which dock at the pier are; PS Waverley, MV Balmoral and MS Oldenburg. These ships take on water and supplies, as well as passengers.
  • The pier was designed by R.J. Ward and J.W. Grover. Ironwork was by Hamiltons of Liverpool.
  • The Toll House was designed by Hans Price.
  • The pier is 312 metres long, from the gates to the rails at the end.
  • It is constructed of cast iron, wrought iron, steel, wood and glass.
  • Average rise and fall of the tide, ordinary spring tide – 14 metres (47 feet), the second highest tide in the world.
  • Depth of water at high tide, ordinary spring tide – 16 metres.
  • Depth of water at low tide, ordinary spring tide – 2 metres.
  • Distance to Cardiff from the pier head – 21 kilometres.
  • Distance to Severn Crossing – 18 kilometres.
  • It took 60 men, 18 months to build the pier.
  • 350 tons of wrought iron was used in the building of the pier.

[printable version]

Clevedon Pier - Important dates

1847 Railway reaches Clevedon offering possible link to South Wales by steamer
1863 Application for the construction of a pier at Clevedon
1866 Clevedon Pier Company formed with Sir Arthur Elton as  Chairman
1867 Construction of the pier started, by Hamilton’s Windsor Ironworks of Liverpool. Total cost: £10,000.
1868 The official opening of Clevedon Pier, on Easter  Monday 29th March
1892-3 Original wrought iron pier head was replaced. Rebuilt in cast iron and reopened on 3rd April. New timber landing stage added. Regular steamer traffic began at the pier.
1894 Two storey pavilion and two shelters were completed.
1913 Pre-cast concrete landing stage was built, to replace
original timber one, which was in poor condition
1950 Introduction of weight testing to obtain insurance  cover
1970 The furthest two spans of the pier collapsed during  loading test for insurance purposes – estimate for  repairs £75,000
1971 Clevedon Pier Preservation Trust is established on 6th September
1979 Application made to demolish. Estimate for restoration£379,000
1980 A public enquiry saves the pier from demolition. Fundraising starts
1981 Clevedon Pier Trust Ltd. Is formed
1982 The pier head buildings were dismantled and taken to  a local car park for storage and to await restoration.
1983 The restored Toll House is opened
1984 Monies raised by English Heritage, the Public and other sources enables the trust to begin repair work. To dismantle and repair off site, the promenade and  provide new deck, also repair the concrete landing  stage
1985 The pier is dismantled and taken to Portishead for  restoration
1988 The pier is reconstructed
1989 The pier reopened, without the pier head on 27th May. Sailings return. Further fundraising and a grant from  the Heritage Lottery Fund, a contract for the final  phase of restoration – costing £2,500,00, bringing the  total cost to £3,600,000
1998 The pier is fully restored and opened on 23rd May
1999 Awarded ‘Pier of the Year
2002 Awarded Grade 1 Listed status, one of only two piers in the country


[printable version]